I'm in grad school for the internet and work in a comic book store. This blog is things that a) I like b) made me laugh or c) I care about.
Questions about comics? Want recommendations? Ask, I'm a professional!
Backgorund - Mike Mitchell
powered by Tumblr.
*moves to portland* *finds out kyle maclachlan isnt the actual mayor* *moves away*
The actual mayor is his assistant.
What’s up with the denny’s tumblr? Does a national restaurant chain really need to post such stupid stuff?
I came out to have a good time and I’m honestly feeling so attacked right now
Why do people act like being a vampire is so fucking great. You can’t eat garlic bread so what’s the point
Okay first of all fuck garlic bread
What the fuck. What thef. Uck. You come on here, you come into my house, you take a shit on my post you shit on garlic bread, you shit on everything I stand for, on this, the day of my daughter’s wedding… .
i’ve been seeing people talk almost all day about why men (yes, even you) shouldn’t identify as feminists but nobody i follow has gone into especially great detail so i’m going to expand this a little for your general benefit:
- feminism is not a religion, it is a social movement
- it has no holy text or any other unchanging, supreme reference material
- this means feminism is defined exclusively by people who openly label themselves as feminists and “display” that label in their public interactions
- this, in turn, means that anyone who identifies as a feminist contributes to the meaning of feminism in proportion to the amount of social influence they are given over their surroundings
- since men already possess more social power than women on a global scale, an individual man who labels himself as a feminist is immediately able to speak for feminism more than a woman can in the eyes of the general public regardless of his grasp of feminist ideology
- by reasonable extension we can figure that, if feminism was composed of equal parts men and women, men would still be the dominant influence in feminism unless women achieved social equality to men
- in addition, the imbalance of power that exists between men and women cannot be given up or ignored; even though prejudices vary on a personal level there is no way for a man to “stop” having more social influence than women except by a gradual combined effort to change public thinking
- by identifying as a feminist, a man would intend to place himself at an equal level as a woman alongside other feminists — but this cannot happen, since men are shown an inherent preference in almost every aspect of society and
- the only way to counterbalance this inequality is to continuously yield to women in feminist discourse and to integrate this deference into the label you choose (if any) by deliberately referring to oneself as an ally or a supporter
- by doing this, the man’s social power is put to ethical use in giving women a louder voice without speaking over them and everybody wins in the end
this isn’t about what the “definition” of feminist is and whether someone falls under that definition — definitions are not objective and come from academic institutions that are also overwhelmingly dominated by men, and looking to them as an authority on feminism is inherently misogynistic whether you believe so or not
tl;dr: identifying as a feminist puts women’s power of self-determination in your hands and to do this against the will of women is nothing short of an act of violence
So I completely understand this outlook and in a lot of ways I agree. I think the solution for men is to say that your agree with feminist ideals. The idea that men shouldn’t call themselves feminists is sort going going against Third Wave Feminism in a way, and there are some concerns. I guess my worries are that now our allies who are men will feel like they cannot help in support of our movement. Arguments against the idea that anyone can be a feminist and we’re an all inclusive movement seems moot now? I’m concerned that now men who try to talk to more ignorant men will no long have a good argument to give when these ignorant folks won’t listen to a woman explain it for herself and I don’t know. I do understand this though, and I am trying to wrap my head around it.
To all the guys complaining about this in the notes, this isn’t really our decision to make. None of this means you have to stop supporting the cause or working against oppression. Just a bit of a change in terminology. I do think the “TL;DR” on the post is a bit of a problem, not because of the language, but because this is an argument you can’t really get a good understanding of in such a brief statement.
(via ohleahdarling) # I LIKE THIS AND I DON’T# ORGASM DOESN’T NEED TO MEAN TO END OF SEX? BUT THAT CAN BE TAKEN A PLETHORA OF WAYS# ALSO DO WE NEED THE POWER DYNAMIC OF WHO FUCKS WHO# CAN’T YOU JUST BE FUCKING EACH OTHER?
Conjugate it like dance. We will dance, we are dancing, we have danced. She didn’t dance you so hard last night.